Sunday, May 13, 2012

High Maintenance Consumer

I have decided that I need to become much more serious about this blog. Partially because I'm an attention whore, but mostly because if I post here on a regular basis it will keep me on track and give me some way to watch my progress. This means that I need your help. I know that a few people read here when I do post something, but I need more (see attention whore comment above). I need more feedback, I need you to share me with your friends. I need people to keep me on track. I need strangers and friends. It's the only way I'm going to commit myself to this. My personality require accountability which is why WW went so well for me (I need help there too, but that's a whole new post). So please, help me people!

Now, on to the meat (hehe) of this post. For years I have had a problem that I didn't want to own up to. I'm a bargain addict. I'm a shopping addict too. I just love going out and finding a deal on just about anything. Heck, I have another blog that I neglect that is devoted to bargains (going to do better about that blog too). Nothing would please me more than coming home with a pile of stuff that I'd acquired for next to nothing thanks to sales and coupons. I had the makings of a great little stockpile and always had the newest products. Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy things I couldn't use but who needs twenty five bottles of shampoo just because they were really cheap? As you have seen if you've followed my purging process the last time, I had so much stuff that I didn't even know what I had so I was buying more because I didn't know what I had a backup of.

Now I still don't believe in paying full price for anything if I can keep from it. I do love a bargain. But all of that purchasing led me into a heap of debt. Yes, even the nearly free items add to a greater total and the bill still has to be paid. But more than that, I spent a little here and there on bargains that I should have been saving for emergencies which is where the bulk of the debt came from. And what did I have to show for it? Nothing special that's for sure.

But that's all in the past. I can't take back how I spent then, I just have to change it now. I want out of a job that I hate, I want to not have to work every waking moment of my life, and I want the freedom to pursue things that make me happy. I also want to do things that are better for my family, the community and the environment. Changing how I live and how I consume is going to be a big thing for me. I'm a consumer, I'm high maintenance, and I need to change that. Hold me accountable people!

No comments:

Post a Comment