Monday, April 30, 2012

Why I Love the Internet

There are all sorts of reasons to love the interwebz. Most of us can't remember (or don't want to) a time when we didn't have Google at our fingertips or things like Facebook and Pintrest as time sucks. There are lots of good things and lots of bad things about the internet and not nearly enough time to list them all. There are days where I wish I could force myself just to shut it all down and disconnect. Days where I wonder what I could have accomplished if I hadn't updated my status every fifteen seconds. But I digress.

There's a funny little saying out there that goes "I love my computer because my friends live in it". That is so true for me. Now, I have amazing and wonderful friends that live near me and I couldn't make it without them. But the internet has connected me with people all over the country that I never would have met otherwise and who are just as amazing as those right here. I've even made local friends because I "met" them online. The world has changed and this is how things go now and I'm not going to complain.

I have people in my life whom I may never (though I hope I will) meet in the flesh but I would do anything for them. I've seen their babies born, listened to their struggles, celebrated their joys and it is all just as real as if they lived next door. One particular friend has helped me in more ways than I can even tell her and the chances of us ever meeting or becoming friends (many of our beliefs are radically different) is about as likely as either of us winning the lottery. She's an amazing person who is just owning her life right now and she's such an inspiration.

I'm so thankful for her and for all of my friends and for the internet for bringing us together!

No comments:

Post a Comment