Monday, November 12, 2012

A Little About Black Friday

It's getting close to that time of year again. Thanksgiving. A day to be thankful for all that we have and hopefully a day to spend with those that you care about. With Thanksgiving we now have Black Friday, and that is creeping into Thanksgiving day with stores deciding to start their sales early. I've been a bargain shopper for a long time.

 I love a good deal and the little high I get from finding something I've been looking for at a great price. But I simply cannot stomach Black Friday, and I really hate that stores are moving into Thanksgiving. I'm not trying to run down my friends who choose to participate in the Black Friday madness, but after one attempt many years ago I knew that it was not for me. Last year I decided to only buy things that I felt those I was shopping for would really enjoy and appreciate. I made careful selections. This year, I plan to do that again. I also plan to do my best to buy as much as I can locally. We spend a lot of time talking about jobs in this country, well shopping locally creates jobs.
When you're considering your shopping plans this year, take a little time to think about where you shop and how you shop. If someone came to live with you that had never experienced Black Friday how would you explain it? What would the spectacle look like to them? Are the gifts you buy on that day things that your loved ones truly cherish? Where are your past Black Friday purchases now?

 Consider an alternative to Black Friday (though I don't advocate clogging up already crowded stores). If you still want to participate that's up to you. As for me, I'll be at home in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment