Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Little Clarification

I was reflecting on my post about diet and disease and felt like it needed something more. I want to be clear that I don't believe that everyone knows just exactly what they should do to take better care of themselves and just won't do it. The truth is, I believe there are a whole lot of people out there who know that they need to eat better and exercise and just don't know where or how to begin. There are still tons of people in this county without internet access so it isn't always as easy as Googling something. Not to mention that even if you can look it up, there is an overwhelming amount of information out there and much of it is contradictory.

I am not a very good cook. I can look up how to make something and give it a whirl and it rarely turns out the way it should. I'm not someone you could hand a pile of ingredients to and expect a meal to appear out of them. I know I need to eat healthy, but sometimes I do get overwhelmed at the process and the lure of the drive-thru is a strong one. So while I was mostly ranting at those who know just exactly what they need to do and choose not to do it, I know there is a big camp out there that wants to do it but feels overwhelmed by the process. In those cases I wish we had more programs to help. I love the first lady's Let's Move campaign, and I love what Jamie Oliver tried to do in his Food Revolution program. In order to spend less on obesity we may have to spend more on education and I think that's a pretty good trade off.

No comments:

Post a Comment