Sunday, March 18, 2012

Going Green

The term "going green" is so overused that most people seeing my title probably had their brains gloss over as soon as they saw it. I feel the same way when I see it. But the truth is that no matter how much we're sick of that overused phrase, we do need to take better care of our environment. I mentioned that I was reading a book called Sleeping Naked is Green and how much I was enjoying it. Well, it was so good that I finished it up a few days ago and I have to say that the author really inspired me.

You don't have to go full hippie to make a difference for the planet and that was evident in this book. I especially enjoyed it because she was so honest about each change and how she felt about it. The truth is that everything we do has a consequence and not all things we do to be "green" are perfect. Choosing to use cloth napkins or recycled paper towels each have their own green pitfalls and so it has to come down to personal preference in a lot of cases. She was also very honest about the changes that she didn't keep after her year of green living was over.

I loved this book because I related to her feelings about some of the changes. I am such a girly girl and the idea of not shaving my legs or using my hair straightener sends me into a panic. But, I recognize the environmental impact of those things and it makes me wonder if I'm being selfish. Clearly I wasn't the only person moved by her book as another woman started a blog to chronicle her own green changes (although she was already very green). Check out Eco Mama to see how she's making changes. So while I know I cannot commit to a change a day for an entire year, I can make changes and so I will.

I've decided on one already and will post about it in the next few days. Just a warning though, it will be for the ladies eyes only. Stay tuned!


Sleeping Naked Is Green: How an Eco-Cynic Unplugged Her Fridge, Sold Her Car, and Found Love in 366 Days

No comments:

Post a Comment