Sunday, March 11, 2012

Finally Someone I Can Relate To!

I took the boys to our local book fair this afternoon. This is one of my favorite places to go and I just cannot leave without an arm full of books. The sad thing is, if you've read this blog or been to my apartment you will see that I'm not lacking in the book area. I have them stuck anywhere and everywhere and I still buy more. I do try to buy as many of them used as I can or from places like the book fair where they are just priced so darn cheap. I have a Kindle in my purse too. It's a sickness really.

But I digress. I picked up a book called Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson and just a few chapters in I am totally hooked. Our lives are quite different but this book could have been written by me if I'd decided to take on such an ambitious project. She decides to make one "green" change in her life every day for a year. But, she's a normal person! She likes modern convenience and girly things. She's like so many of us who enjoy modern society but also feel like we're doing a lot of harm.

As someone who has sat at my food co-op in my knee high boots next to a dread locked woman with the most disgusting feet I've ever seen at talk about fermentation I can tell you I've struggled with the desire to hold on to the super girly things I love and also move toward a lifestyle that I think sits deep in the core of who I am. It's a weird feeling and this woman expresses it so well in this book. She has a blog called Green as a Thistle and I really can't wait to read it.

So perhaps I'll take her cue and chronicle a little more of my own inner green turmoil.

Oh and the woman on the other side of me at that fermentation thing was super awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment